Friday, February 24, 2012

Foodie adventures...

Well, I did something I've *NEVER* done before tonight. Actually, several somethings!!

I have absolutely fallen in love with Pinterest (it's a bride's best friend!) and of course, along the way I find fabulous pictures of yummy looking recipes! (Check out my "Foodie Adventures" board!)

I came across a "Blue Velvet Cake" recipe and was instantly intrigued...probably because of the color. I'm a sucker for bright colors and anything shiny...

Here's the original blog post with the recipe I used: http://adventurescooking.blogspot.com/2010/03/blue-velvet-cake-with-cream-cheese.html

And here's some of my adventure...

I followed her instructions pretty much to the T, except for the amount of food coloring. Did you know that Red, Yellow, and Green food colorings come in full bottles (by the spices and extracts!) but Blue is only in 4 packs!??! At least, at my Walmart and Food Lion close to my house...so I only put in .25 oz instead of 2 oz. I don't know that it affected the color too badly...they're still pretty blue!

Also, I have exactly ONE muffin tin, so I made 12 cupcakes and 2 8" rounds. I did not grease the pans because one recipe said that angel food cake needs to "climb" the walls of a pan. I also considered doing this in a 9x13 pan but found out that it may not be the best idea, thus the smaller rounds.

Oh yeah, I forgot the blueberries! I had them...a huge thing of 'em from Costco...but totally forgot to put them in. So...see how I incorporated them anyways!!!

There are two gone because Muscle Man and I couldn't wait...












 I mean...HOW CUTE IS THAT!??!
 





















There's the two 8" rounds...I put one down on a plate with the cooked top up. Then I added frosting, and....















Frosting and BLUEBERRIES!! And more frosting on top of the berries. Then....
Threw the next round on TOP of all that, with the pan side up. It's flatter. There's a nice divot on top, but I filled it with frosting (icing?).
 There it it! Two layers with middle blueberry surprise! It's by NO means perfect, but that wasn't my intention. Oh, and ignore the Woodchuck and Sam Adams bottles in the background, and the mess on the counter!! Do, however, pay attention to the Cardinals cup..they rock!
 There's the finished product...more blueberries on top. Adorable, and the berries make it soooo tasty!
So...there's my adventure for the day! Enjoy, and go try something new for yourself!

1 comment: